Maintaining a stone countertop is one of the reasons people choose granite for their counters. It provides a hygienically superior, beautiful, and long-lasting surface.
When caring for your stone countertops, the basics are the same.
- Spills should be blotted, not wiped. Wash the spill with water or a mild soap solution and water, and then dry with a soft cloth.
- Use heat protecting-trivets or mats on stone surfaces. Most stone handles heat, however, heat isn’t recommended.
- Don’t use cleaners which aren’t recommended. These can damage your counter or floor.
- Keep your countertop and floors dry. Here in the Phoenix and Valley area, we have hard water, which can create hard water stains on your countertops and fixtures. Using a squeegee can help.
For floor care:
- Use entry rugs to keep dirt and grit from spreading through the house
- Dust mopping will help to remove the grit that makes it’s way beyond the threshold
- Vacuuming or any other type of physical cleaning should be done with care. If there is any scraping or dragging, check the wheels of the attachment to make sure they aren’t worn. It is possible to scratch stone with
Types of soap:
Cleaners should be chosen with care. Never use common cleaning products! These will etch/damage your countertops and floors.
Use one of the following:
- Neutral cleaner
- Stone soap
- Mild dishwashing liquid
Use the least amount of soap you can to do the job effectively. Remember, overuse of soap won’t make it cleaner and can leave streaks and film. The secret is to rinse with clean water. Keep the rinse water clean as you work.
Never use acids (vinegar, lemon juice). Don’t use abrasive cleaners such as scouring powders or creams, and don’t use any products containing hydrofluoric acid.
Sealing products actually don’t stain-proof stone. Sealing on a counter is much the same as wax on wood furniture--it acts as a kind of repellant but doesn’t prevent stains. A good quality sealer gives the homeowner time to clean up the spill. Sealants should be reapplied as recommended by the installer and, if used for kitchen counters or other food areas, should be non-toxic.
We carry and recommend Advanced Sealers and Cleaners, with AC Technology. This is an excellent line of products which covers the range of You can find them in our showroom, or find out more about them here.